Preparing for A Catholic Baptism

Baptism, like all the sacraments in the Catholic faith, is ultimately for the purpose of participating and receiving Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. Before my child’s baptism I prepared by praying and sacrificing. 
My baptism, 1984

There is more to do to prepare for any sacrament than logistics.

Logistics

  1. Choose Godparents 
  2. Ask the Godparents
  3. Arrange date with church
  4. Meet with priest or deacon
  5. Attend baptism preparation class
  6. Baptismal outfits
  7. Plan celebration

Spiritual

  1. Fast
  2. Pray
  3. Scripture

1. Meditation: Jesus’s baptism in the Jordan River. The prayer I chose to prepare myself spiritually for my baby’s baptism is the Rosary. I meditated on the five Luminous Mysteries in particular.: Baptism of Jesus; Wedding at Canna; Proclamation of The Kingdom; Transfiguration of Jesus; Institution of the Eucharist. 

I must admit, I was never motivated to pray the luminous mysteries before. In desiring to prepare spiritually for my second baby’s baptism it hit me: PRAY THE ROSARY THAT MEDITATES ON JESUS’S BAPTISM!  It’s so obvious now but it took me a LONG TIME, to figure this out. 

2. Sacrifice: Obtain God-fearing Godparents.  

How do you pick the Godparents? Decon told me this is the hardest part! It’s true I remember my youngest sister has two sets of Godparents because my parents couldn’t say no. Earlier this year, I read an amazing book that will teach you how to please God, but it’s not a how to book: Under Angel Wings, the amazing story of a girl named Cecy in Brazil who was guided by her guardian angel to make the choice to please Jesus moment by moment day by day from childhood through adult life. Her guardian angel in some critical crossroads in her life instructs her to make sacrifices to the BVM to obtain some of her desires, such as an expedited First Communion. 

I took a cue from Cecy and offered a sacrifice (40 day fast) to the blessed virgin mary to make a request to her son Jesus on my behalf concerning my child’s Godparents: to obtain the wisdom and discernment to have the Godparents most pleasing to God for my child. The Godparents that resulted surprised me and are a true testament. I may share this amazing story someday. 

Simple advice: Pick Godparents that are gonna PRAY FOR YOUR CHILD. 

4. Blessing my babies daily: From the day they are born until baptism. When I was scheduling my first baby’s baptism our Decon, said : “Please bless your baby today, right now. And do it as often as you feel compelled to.” Deacon directed me to: “Place your hand on baby’s head and say ‘God bless you [child's name] Amen.’”

5. Fasting.  Fasting in the Bible is used to obtain God’s guidance, protection, and help. I fast as a sacrifice to God for my children to stay close to Jesus and keep Him in their hearts forever. I can’t recommend fasting enough for getting closer to God. Fasting taught me to have spiritual discipline. Through fasting, I  crucify my low fleshy desires and seek closer communion with God. I completed two Daniel fasts for 21 days each last year.  I had more energy, and patience despite no coffee. I did pray to my guardian Angel, Jesus and Mary to give me the grace to do so. Before fasting I used to get hangry, after fasting I see missing meals as insignificant in the context of Jesus’s true suffering. I recognized my own lukewarmness toward Jesus, my indifference toward his sacrifice. 

As a mom,  fasting has made me more patient, humble, and honest. Additionally, learning to sacrifice for Jesus in general is so helpful for maintaining joy as a mother: Mothers often miss meals, lose sleep and deny ourselves many pleasures instead of being resentful I offer it up to Jesus. I was not like this before I fasted. Whenever my patience is running low, or my prayer life is inconsistent,  I know it’s time to fast in order to obtain discipline and grow in virtue.

May the peace of Jesus be with you,

Laura

Comments

Popular Posts